adplus-dvertising
National

Education minister seeks extension of NYSC to two years

The Minister of Education, Olatunji Alausa, has called for the extension of the mandatory National Youth Service Corps scheme from one to two years.

Alausa stated this on Friday when the Director-General of NYSC, Brigadier General Olakunle Nafiu, paid him a courtesy visit in his office in Abuja.

According to a statement posted on NYSC’s official Facebook page, the minister also called for the expansion of the Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development Training Programme content for corps members.

“The minister also advocated for the extension of national service from one to two years, with the expansion of NYSC Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development Training programme content for corps members,” the statement read.

The minister also advocated for the deployment of more graduate teachers to serve in rural schools, saying this would fill the manpower gap in the schools.

He commended the management of NYSC for its proactive and digitalised efforts in the mobilisation process, aimed at curbing certificate racketeering involving some foreign-trained graduates within West Africa.

Alausa also hailed the scheme for resolving the lingering issue of OND part-time graduates with full-time HND who were previously exempted from National Service.

Alausa stated further that efforts were ongoing in the ministry to digitise the verification of foreign-trained graduates of Nigerian origin, saying the Ministry and NYSC would further strengthen their alliance towards the improvement of education for national development.

“You have done so well as an organisation. Let NYSC give people more opportunities to become job creators that will meet the needs of the country,” he said.

Speaking earlier, the NYSC Director General, Brig-Gen. Nafiu lauded the ministry’s innovation and giant strides in the education sector.

He called for the establishment of a database for Nigerian youths going abroad to study for degree programmes, adding that this would help the government and other stakeholders in the education sector identify fake graduates.

“NYSC is ready to comply with policy guidelines as directed by the Federal Government. We are also trying to reform the Scheme to conform with the present national needs,” he said.

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Abel Olumuyiwa Enitan, affirmed the Ministry’s readiness to work with NYSC more effectively towards uplifting the standard of education in the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button