DHQ denies Niger’s withdrawal for MNJTF, vows to capture terrorist kingpin, Turji

The Defence Headquarters has dismissed reports that Niger Republic has withdrawn from the Multinational Joint Task Force, stating that such a move would have serious security implications.
Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja on Thursday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Markus Kangye, clarified that the MNJTF remains a critical regional security collaboration and that efforts must be made to prevent any member state from leaving.
He said, “When you hear ‘dem say,’ it means the information lacks credibility. I think this area has been a subject of discourse for the past few months, especially when some members of ECOWAS decided to form an alliance and attempted to exit ECOWAS.
“But, you know, the Multinational Joint Task Force was established by the Lake Chad Commission countries to address their common security concerns.
“Nigeria has been making significant efforts to ensure the sustainability of this task force. However, if for any reason a member decides to pull out, the implications will be substantial. The synergy we are supposed to enjoy may no longer be there.
“It is not in our interest for any country to leave because whatever affects them also affects us. If a country withdraws, it creates a gap in effort and reduces the strength of the contingent from that country.
“Therefore, efforts must be made to prevent such a situation from happening. Do you understand? We will continue to examine the situation, and as we always do, we will provide further briefings when necessary. ”
Kangye also assured the public that security forces remain focused on apprehending notorious terrorist leader Bello Turji.
He dismissed claims that the military had downscaled operations against herdsmen, terrorists, and cattle rustlers, among others.
“Then on the aspect of whether the troops are not, or they have downscaled their operations against Cattle rustlers and some terrorists.
“No. As I read out, troops intercepted some trucks loaded with cows, and they recovered them, and they are still on the hunt for high-value terrorists. I have also read out the report for the quarter, some high-value terrorists that were eliminated during the quarter.
“I have mentioned their names. So as for Bello Truji, it is just a matter of time, an appointment will be fixed with him by his maker,” Kangye stated.
Addressing concerns about the welfare of injured troops, Kangye refuted allegations of neglecting soldiers wounded in action.
He said, “As to whether the welfare of troops is not taken care of, or that there are so many complaints about their welfare by troops.
“Well, to the best of my knowledge and what the armed forces are doing, our troops are adequately taken care of. And you are a journalist. If you have watched over the Salah break, you would have noticed the chief of army staff, the chief of air staff, and other senior officers from services headquarters visiting troops at the front line to celebrate Salah.
“And those that are wounded, I can still remember vividly that the commander of infantry, General A.K. Ibrahim, was at 44 Military Hospital to have lunch with our wounded in action. And last year, while I held sway as the commander of artillery, I personally was in that same 44 Military Hospital to stay with our troops on Christmas Day. I didn’t spend Christmas with my family.
” I was with our wounded in the hospital to celebrate Christmas. The year before, I was in Mangu Plateau State to also represent the Chief of Army Staff to have lunch with our troops. So the issue of whether troops are not taken care of is not true.
” I can also tell you that the services headquarters, the Armed Forces of Nigeria, is taking good care of the sick and wounded. Some of them that require medical evacuation abroad are taken abroad for medical treatment. Some went to Egypt, some went to Turkey, I remember, some are in India.
“As we speak, some are still there receiving medical attention from the services, taken care of by the services. And also, I want to tell you about, was it in December or November? I don’t know the exact dates. Houses were issued to some of our wounded-in-action soldiers. ”
Kangye also noted that the military has provided free housing for wounded soldiers who may not be able to return to active service.
“There is an estate built by the Army, and the army issued keys to soldiers, free. So when you talk of the welfare of soldiers, don’t listen to some narratives that are passed in the public domain; some of these narratives are meant to discredit the effort of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, and we say no to it.
“Our troops are well taken care of. Senior officers frequently visit them at the frontline and in hospitals. Some of those needing advanced treatment have been flown to countries like Egypt, Turkey, and India,” he said.
On the killings of Edo travellers, he said, “The political leadership of both Edo State and Kano State has taken action on the matter. You are aware that the political leadership of Edo State visited that of Kano State over the issue and the families of the victims.
“So at the political level, everything has been resolved. I don’t think there is going to be any issue. Anybody or group causing apprehension or threats, if security agencies are aware, will be investigated.”
The DHQ spokesperson also warned against the spread of false information, particularly regarding religious crises in northern Nigeria.
He urged journalists and the public to verify claims before sharing them, stressing that misleading narratives could be weaponized to create unrest.
“This is an AI-dominated information age. False narratives can be manipulated to create confusion. However, we will investigate all credible reports and take appropriate action,” he assured.